If you become injured in an accident, you want a personal injury attorney who is dedicated to your case, and who can get you the money you deserve. You should also find someone who treats your injury with compassion, and who is easy to work with and talk to about the details of your case.
Here are some pointers that will help you determine how to choose a personal injury lawyer.
Starting the Process
As you begin your search for an Atlanta personal injury lawyer, start by asking friends, family members, co-workers and other people you trust for referrals. Make sure the lawyers you are researching have experience in the area of your injury. Keep in mind that most personal injury lawyers do not practice medical malpractice law, and many do not handle workers’ compensation cases.
The Initial Consultation
Most personal injury lawyers offer free initial consultations. This is a great way to meet with your potential attorney to discuss your claim, see how he or she might handle it, and talk about their experience in your needed specialty. Bring documentation with you that relates to your claim, such as:
- Medical bills and other hospital fees
- Medical records
- Police report
- Income loss information
- Every correspondence with the insurance company
Questions to Ask
Also get a feel for how experienced he or she is, and assess whether you would feel comfortable working with this person for the duration of your cases. Ask questions like:
- How long have you been in practice? What professional organizations do you belong to? How do you keep up-to-date on the changing laws?
- What percentage of your practice involves my type of personal injury cases?
- Do you mostly represent plaintiffs or defendants? (Defense attorneys may have close ties to insurance companies and not pursue your claim as dynamically).
- Would you be the lawyer handling my case, or one of your associates? (You want the most experienced lawyer(s) at the firm. Make sure you talk to all those who may be involved with your case).
Find out how to choose a personal injury lawyer. In the Atlanta area, please contact the Atlanta personal injury attorney at Robbins Law, PC today. Free consultation available.