Injuring your neck or spine can dramatically impact your life in a split second. Your spinal column is part of the central nervous system, which sends motor and sensory signals to almost every part of your body. If you suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, it’s time to hire a personal injury attorney.
Lasting Effects of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury may affect the vertebrae, nerves or both. Depending on the location of the damage, the victim may face a wide range of lasting effects, including:
- Sensory Deficits. The spinal column is full of nerves that run throughout the body, including the arms, legs, hands and feet. If these nerves are damaged, you may experience a wide range of unpleasant sensory problems, such as numbness or pain.
- Decreased Motor Skills. Both damage to the vertebrae and nerves may result in mobility issues. A spinal cord victim may no longer have dexterity in their hands, or they may find it difficult to walk with ease.
- Internal Organ Issues. Since the spinal column also controls many systems of the body, injury victims may develop issues with some of their internal organs. Bladder incontinence, respiratory problems and poor circulation are commonly noted after a spinal column injury.
- Paralysis. In the most severe cases, a person may become partially or fully paralyzed. Some patients may only lose their ability to walk, while others may lose bodily control from the neck down. Paralysis is often accompanied by extreme depression.
Monetary Compensation after a Spinal Cord Injury
While money won’t fix the mental and physical problem an injury victim may face, it may help ease some of the daily stress and anxiety. Some of the most commonly awarded damages include:
- Medical Bills. Spinal cord injuries are costly to treat, and victims may need long-term care. Both your past and future medical bills should be paid for by the negligent party.
- Pain and Suffering. Many people never completely recover following a spinal cord injury. Some victims experience ongoing pain and are unable to fully enjoy life. The effects of this type of injury may last a lifetime.
- Lost Wages. Many spinal cord injury victims lose their income as a result of the accident, whether temporarily or permanently. Compensation should include both past and future lost wages.
Importance of a Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury lawyer like Laurie Robbins will fight to make sure that you’re fully compensated for your injuries. Most personal injury cases are settled out of court, but when the insurance company is not willing to settle for a fair amount, attorney Laurie Robbins will take your case to trial before a jury.
Nothing changes your life faster than a serious spinal cord injury. Many of these injuries are the result of negligent or reckless behavior including negligence that results in a car wreck. If you were injured in Atlanta or anywhere in Georgia, please call Laurie Robbins for a free claim evaluation.