If you’ve been in a car accident or are going through another traumatic event in your life, it can be a confusing, chaotic time. You no doubt are wondering how to handle it and what you should do. Is it time to contact a lawyer?
If you are involved in a car accident, your first priorities should be to attend to any serious injuries, contact the police, and exchange information with the other driver. Only after these steps are taken should you consider calling a lawyer. You should call a lawyer if:
• The police report says that you are at fault but you disagree or if the police report doesn’t accurately describe what happened.
• There was a serious injury involved because of someone else’s negligence.
• You feel like the insurance company is acting in bad faith, for example, denying the coverage that you paid for, refusing the claim before even investigating the accident, or not paying the claim in a timely manner.
• You started the process of being compensated on your own but you are having difficulty coming to an agreement with the insurance company.
There are other instances when you may wonder if you should consult a lawyer – the answer isn’t always clear. In the following situations, you should call an attorney as soon as possible. You should call a lawyer for help if:
• You have been charged with a crime.
• You have been arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI).
• You are in a situation that you are having trouble resolving yourself that may affect your personal finances, health and well-being, or liberties.
• You need help drafting important, complicated documents or you are trying to start a business, manage your estate, or draft a will.
• Your opponent has an attorney.
• You are in a situation where bodily injury has occurred.
Any situation where you even have to wonder if you might need a lawyer is unpleasant. Laurie Robbins has the experience and compassion to help you through this difficult time. Contact the Atlanta office for a free consultation, to find out how she can help you. Call 404-252-8117 today.