Parking lots are a breeding ground for car accidents. Most people are more concerned with finding a parking spot than observing the right of way. In many cases, the rules of traffic are ignored in parking lots as drivers go the wrong way down a lane or cut off another vehicle in an attempt to get the inside track on a parking spot in a crowded lot. Additionally, drivers pulling out of parking spots are often more focused on adjusting the radio, punching coordinates into their GPS system, lighting a cigarette, or talking on their cell phone than looking for other vehicles or pedestrians moving towards them. The end result is often an avoidable car accident.
The following tips can help you reduce your likelihood of a car accident in a parking lot:
- Avoid using your cell phone in a parking lot
- Set up navigation devices before starting to drive
- Be on the lookout for pedestrians walking behind your vehicle or other cars moving towards you as you pull out from a spot
- Park away from store entrances to reduce the level of traffic congestion near your vehicle
- Obey all rules of traffic such as one way signs and yielding the right of way when appropriate
While car accidents in parking lots generally occur at low speeds, it is still possible to suffer an injury. This is particularly true if the car accident involves a pedestrian. If you have been injured in a car accident in a parking lot, seek medical attention immediately and consult and experienced car accident lawyer who can make sure your rights are protected.
Atlanta car accident lawyer Laurie Robbins has been fighting for the rights of injured victims for more than 30 years. She has the experience necessary to help you receive the compensation you deserve after being injured in a parking lot car accident.
Please contact Robbins & Associates today to schedule your free car accident consultation. Laurie Robbins serves clients in Atlanta, Georgia.