If you have recently been injured due to a slip and fall on someone else’s property, you may be wondering if this is something you should sue over – and if so, should you get a lawyer or handle it yourself? A slip-and-fall case can actually be more complex than you realize. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider hiring a lawyer instead of representing yourself.
5 reasons why you should hire a lawyer
Even if the case seems very simple to you, there are still reasons to consider hiring a lawyer. For instance:
1. If you represent yourself, the defendant and their insurance company may not take you seriously, which will make it difficult to get the appropriate amount of compensation – or even any compensation at all. It may even be difficult to get the defendant’s insurance company to return your phone calls!
2. Proving the property owner was negligent can be the trickiest part of a slip-and-fall case. A lawyer will know how to investigate the incident and ask the right questions to determine exactly what happened and why and how you fell.
3. Property owners have certain rules they have to follow for everyone’s safety. A lawyer will know the state, federal, and local laws that the property owner may have violated.
4. A lawyer will know what experts to call to help prove your claim – it isn’t enough just to say that the property owner did something wrong; this has to be shown without a doubt.
5. A lawyer will know how to document the losses you have suffered since your fall, and can also help you quantify any pain and suffering you’ve endured. A lawyer and his or her team are experts at gathering medical records, bills, information about rehabilitation, and other documentation that will prove you have suffered hardship.
If you are thinking of suing over a slip and fall, you should reconsider handling it yourself – it can be far more complicated than it may seem at first glance. Laurie Robbins has the expertise and the compassion to help you get the compensation you deserve. The consultation is free – call the Atlanta office at 404-252-8117 for an appointment today.