With the country emerging from COVID shutdowns and travel becoming reasonable this year, the summer travel season in 2021 is sure to be one for the record books. Many Americans’ summer travel plans include road trips to new places and to see family. Perhaps you have your own long distance drive on the calendar.
It’s a good opportunity to remind yourself of some of the safety tips involved with travel this time of year:
- Get your car serviced, if applicable. For some of us, the last year has involved very little commuting as many people worked from home. Vehicle maintenance may have fallen by the wayside. A vehicle that is up-to-date on routine maintenance may be less likely to break down and cause a problem during your road trip.
- Pack snacks, water, blankets, and an emergency kit. It’s always a good idea to be prepared for an unexpected breakdown.
- Practice safe driving behaviors. Don’t drink and drive, drive distracted, drive angry, or otherwise drive in a way that impairs your ability to keep your eyes, hands, and mind on the road.
- Check the tire pressure before setting out. Correct tire pressure will prevent blowouts, which can lead to a dangerous accident. Before your road trip, check the pressure and fill as needed to meet the manufacturer’s recommendation. If you take your car in to get serviced or have the oil changed, ask the mechanic to check and fill the tire pressure for you.
- Check for recalls. Some vehicles or vehicle components are recalled without the motorist realizing it. Check NHTSA.gov/recalls to see if your vehicle has any issues.
A little preparation and caution will go a long way in keeping you and your loved ones safer on the road this summer.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Atlanta or the surrounding areas, then experienced accident attorney Laurie Robbins is available to evaluate your case. If the crash that injured you was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to pursue maximum compensation and justice in a claim handled by Ms. Robbins. Please call the law firm at 404-252-8117.