Car accidents result in millions of injuries a year. Some of these are relatively minor and do not have much of an impact on the victims’ lives. However, there are many car accident injuries that are very serious, resulting in catastrophic, life-altering consequences for the victim. In many cases, these car accidents could be easily avoided if the negligent driver would have taken a few more precautions.
The following tips can be very helpful in preventing car accidents:
- Don’t drink and drive – The dangers of alcohol impairment to your ability to drive have been well documented. Often, drunk driving car accidents result in serious injuries or fatalities to the victims.
- Limit distractions while driving – Cell phone use while driving is one of the most common causes of distracted driving-related car accidents. Limit your cell phone use while driving, always use a hands-free device, and do not text while driving. Other distractions such as operating a GPS system or adjusting your iPod can increase your chance of a car accident as well. Avoiding the use of technology that diverts your attention away from the road is always the best course of action.
- Stay current on your vehicle maintenance – Many car accidents are caused by malfunctioning vehicles. You can limit these risks by taking your car for all regular service and maintenance appointments, replacing tires when they wear down, and checking your brakes frequently to ensure they do not need replacing.
- Pay attention at intersections – Intersections are a common location for car accidents. Always come to a complete stop when necessary, look both ways before proceeding, and yield the right of way when appropriate to reduce your risk of an intersection car accident.
- Keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you – The faster you are going, the greater the distance you should keep between you and the vehicle in front of you. It is best to keep one car length for every 10 mph you are driving.
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your damages. Atlanta car accident attorney Laurie Robbins has more than 30 years handling these claims, and she will fight aggressively to ensure your rights are protected every step of the way.
Please contact Robbins & Associates today to schedule your free car accident consultation. Laurie Robbins serves clients in Atlanta, Georgia.